Cobbe portrait of William Shakespeare
1. Shakespeare’s father held a lot of different jobs, and at one point got paid to drink beer.
2. Shakespeare married an older woman who was three months pregnant at the time.
3. Shakespeare’s parents were probably illiterate, and his children almost certainly were.
4. Nobody knows what Shakespeare did between 1585 and 1592.
5. Shakespeare’s plays feature the first written instances of hundreds of familiar terms.
6. We probably don’t spell Shakespeare’s name correctly—but, then again, neither did he.
7. Shakespeare’s epitaph wards off would-be grave robbers with a curse.
8. Shakespeare wore a gold hoop earring—or so we think.
9. North America’s 200 million starlings have Shakespeare to thank for their existence.
10. Some people think Shakespeare was a fraud.